McCain's Surgery Leaves Fate of Senate Health Bill Uncertain
VOA - Sunday 16th July, 2017
U.S. Senator John McCain is 'resting comfortably' after having a blood clot removed from above his left eye, a statement by an Arizona hospital said Friday.
While recuperating, however, McCain, 80, will most likely miss a potential vote this coming week in the Senate on the Republican health care legislation.
The Mayo Clinic in Phoenix said in a statement that, following a routine physical, McCain had the 5-centimeter clot removed.
'The senator is resting comfortably at home and is in good condition,' the statement read. 'Mayo Clinic doctors report that the surgery went 'very well' and he is in good spirits.'
McCain's Senate office said in a statement that he 'is in good spirits and recovering comfortably at home (in Arizona) with his family.'
His doctors advised McCain to spend next week recovering from the procedure, the statement said.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, who unveiled the revised Republican health care bill last week, had planned to hold a procedural vote on the legislation this coming week.
Senate Republicans need 50 votes to clear the procedural hurdle. They hold 52 seats in the chamber, but two senators - Rand Paul of Kentucky and Susan Collins of Maine - have said they will not vote for the bill.
Reuters reported that McCain's office did not immediately respond late Saturday when asked when he would return to Washington. It reported that McConnell's office also did not immediately respond when asked how McCain's absence might affect a health care vote.
McCain, a Vietnam veteran and former prisoner of war, was elected to the Senate in 1986. He was the Republican Party presidential nominee in 2008, losing to Barack Obama.
If anyone remembers anything about The Cloverfield Paradox 10 years from now, it will be the manner in which it was dropped, completely unexpectedly, on Netflix following the Super Bowl with a single trailer during the game announcing its existence ...
MANILA, Philippines - In the latest of many wisecracks that left rights advocates and social welfare groups outraged, the Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte suggested on Saturday that Filipinos a ...