Fresh activity at North Korea N-site triggers concern of another test before November 8 U.S. Preseidential Elections

Phoenix Herald Friday 7th October, 2016

fresh activity at north korea n-site triggers concern of another test before november 8 u.s. preseidential elections

• U.S. think-tank says satellite images show heightened activity at North Korea nuclear site

• The North's most recent test was on September 9, triggering demands for tighter sanctions

• Shift in North Korea's policy, from symbolic actions to concrete military tests, analysts say

SEOUL, South Korea - Increased activity has been reported at North Korea's underground nuclear test site, a U.S.-based monitoring group said on Friday.

Satellite images taken on October 1 show activity at all three of the tunnel complexes at the Punggye-ri site, triggering concerns that the country could be preparing for another nuclear test.

38 North, a website run by Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies that monitors North Korean activities, said, “There is no evidence of new excavation but there appears to be boxes or material around the side of the main building.”

The test may be planned to coincide with the 71st anniversary of the ruling Workers’ Party on October 10. 

Further, experts have noticed a link between North Korea's provocative actions and the U.S. elections. 

According to a study by the Center for Strategic and International Studies, the North’s leaders have attempted to incite tensions around the time of American elections over the past six decades. 

With the U.S. election only weeks away, the North’s weapon's programme is "clearly targeted toward the next administration, and wanting to demonstrate they are a nuclear weapons state to the new president,” Victor Cha, the head of Asian affairs at the National Security Council during the George W. Bush administration, and now a professor at Georgetown University, said.

Shocking the world on September 9, North Korea conducted its fifth nuclear test, leading to wide-spread international outrage and calls for a tighter round of sanctions, especially from the United States and South Korea. 

The UN Security Council has been working on a fresh resolution to punish North Korea for not paying heed to international concerns. 

The monitoring group said the activity at the site could be for a number of purposes, including “collecting post-test data, sealing the portal or preparing for another test.” Images show a large vehicle and a number of personnel at the site. 

A large canopy in a nearby parking lot has been in place for the past couple of months.

At the south portal, where excavation stopped in 2012, images show a group of people standing near a tunnel entrance, indicating ongoing work or maintenance. 

Little activity was detected at Punggye-ri’s main support area, and a few crates and possible vehicles were visible at the south command center.

The increasingly isolated country has defied all calls to end its nuclear weapons programme. 

In January this year, it conducted its fourth nuclear-test, clear signs that it is stepping up the pace of its programme. The country conducted its first nuclear test in 2006.

Earlier this month, 38 North said satellite images from late September indicate North Korea may be building a new submarine that could launch ballistic missiles. 

In late August, the North test-fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile that flew more than 300 miles at a high angle, suggesting it could have gone much farther.

Analysts see a shift in North Korea's policy from symbolic actions to concrete military tests, since Kim Jong Un took power after his father's death in 2011. 

There has been a marked jump in the number of North Korean weapons development tests, according to statistics from 38North, including 15 missile tests in 2016 alone. 

Share this article:
Back to Phoenix Herald

Comments

Featured Story

Suns-Lakers pits two of NBAs youngest teams

Friday was exciting for fans of the Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Lakers for varying reasons.

The Suns provided a thrilling finish with a last-second one-point overtime win at New Orleans. The Lakers surprised many with a double-digit home victory over the Golden State Warriors.

On Sunday night, the two youngest teams in the Pacific Division get together for the first time this season when the Suns visit the Lakers.

The Suns have won two of their first six games and are getting significant production from Devin Booker, who is averaging 19.5 points after a solid rookie campaign. The second-year guard scored 38 points and hit two-game-tying baskets late in regulation in Friday's 112-111 win decided on P.J. Tucker's inbounds pass to T.J. Warren for the game-winning backdoor dunk.

It was hard to say which was more impressive, the dunk or the fact Tucker was defended by Anthony Davis.

"Tuck, man, made a phenomenal play," Warren said. "It was an amazing pass, using his basketball IQ. It was just a perfect play."

It was the second straight overtime victory for the Suns and their third overtime game of the week. Phoenix also is the fifth team in NBA history to play three overtime games through the first six games of a season and has won consecutive overtime games for the first time since Feb. 27-28, 2011.

"We play this game at the end of every practice called 95-95," Suns coach Earl Watson said. "The team that reaches 100 in two minutes wins, so we are used to this. I don't mean for it to go into overtime every two games. I like the fact that our guys never stop fighting."

The Lakers are coming off seasons of 17 and 21 wins, respectively. Last year, Los Angeles needed 18 games to get its third win and in 2014-15, it took 12 games for the Lakers to reach three wins.

"Honestly, we're looking at the big picture and the big picture isn't beating Golden State and then losing Sunday night at home," Los Angeles coach Luke Walton said. "The big picture is we make it really hard on teams that come into Staples Center and get wins, and so far we've had two home games against two really good teams and won both."

Los Angeles reached its third win by getting 20 points apiece from Lou Williams and Julian Randle in a 117-97 blowout of the Warriors. Randle shot 10 of 18 from the floor and had a key block of Draymond Green at the rim while Williams had at least 10 points in the fourth quarter for the third straight game.

"He's a monster," Walton said of Randle, who is shooting 59 percent this season. "I mean he is. He's as big, strong and quick as anyone in the league."

It also was Los Angeles' third win against a team who made the postseason last year. The Lakers opened the season by beating the Houston Rockets and before Friday also won in Atlanta.

"It's a good start for us, and it's a great win for us," Randle said. "It shows how good we can be, but we've got to continue to build on it."

Los Angeles held Golden State to 5-of-32 from behind the arc and is allowing opponents to make 27.9 percent of their 3-pointers.

Phoenix has won 11 of the last 13 meetings with the Lakers. Sunday is the first meeting between the teams without Kobe Bryant on the roster since April 14, 1996, when Cedric Ceballos scored 23 points in a 118-114 Los Angeles win at the Inglewood Forum.